Friday, April 25, 2014

Fair Oaks Park


This is one of the first times I took the drone out for a real run.  I spent a lot of time in this park as a kid watching softball games and just hanging out.  It's always had a special place in my heart.

Had my first scare with the drone right after I filmed this.  The Phantom 2 has a fail-safe feature.  If the drone loses connection with the remote control it is supposed to remember where it took off from and return to that spot and land.  I wanted to test out this feature so I moved to the large open soccer field, sent the drone out to the other side of the field and shut off the remote control, and watched.  I was expecting the drone to come toward me…. it didn't.  It took off in the other direction.  Toward the very large oak trees scattered throughout the park.  I then realized that the drone was returning "Home" but home was the spot I had launched the drone from before I moved.  I took off sprinting through the park.  Arriving at the old launch spot just as the drone was coming to a safe landing.  Lesson learned.

1 comment:

  1. Ha hah..
    I'll bet your hearr was beating like a race horse.

    ReplyDelete